Friday, April 10

Vintage Carp ... Game 5

Hampton (0-0, 0.00) vs. Pineiro (0-0, 0.00)

I decided to go with retro-Houston color. Their color now is boring.

Well, I guess I'll take a split with Pittsburgh over a 1-3 start, but it's hard to see the season start like this. Had Motte known how to get three outs we could've started the season 3-1, but what can ya do...

Carpenter started the season hot as fire, showing no ill effects from his surgery(ies). He took a no-hitter into the 7th inning, until he gave up a 2 out single...Pittsburgh's only hit of the day.

Ironically, when Carp exited the game the Cards were down 1-0 due to a run scored on a couple of Pujols' defensive miscues. Being the pessimistic person I can be at times, I kept thinking, 'Well wouldn't this just be our luck...Carpenter throws a no hitter, and we still find a way to lose.'

Luckily, the Cards were able to string a few hits together in the bottom of the 7th to secure a 2-1 lead. And I'm glad they scored in the 7th because Carpenter really desrved that win. Franklin, back in his comfort zone in the 8th pitched a 3 up, 3 down inning.

Dennys Reyes came in for the 9th and pitched a perfect inning of his own. He recorded the save, only the third save of his 13 year career and his first save since 1999. As my dad would say, "If you want the job done right, bring in the ex-Twin." Stupid Twins. I'm still mad about '87. Cheaters.

Anyway, Pineiro is fired up about his first start today against Houston. He pitched extremely well in spring training. Hopefully he can translate that success over into the game today. And it would be nice if he could get some run support. But who knows, Astros are starting a lefty. I never feel comfortable when the Cards are facing a left handed starter.

Lineup:
1) Schumaker, 2B
2) Greene, SS
3) Pujols, 1B
4) Ludwick, RF
5) Duncan, LF
6) Molina, C
7) Ankiel, CF
8) Freese, 3B
9) Pineiro, P

Go Crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Your dad sounds like a VERY smart man, go Twins! When is Kyle Lohse pitching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I wonder who said that. It's not like I can see who's on here...

    ReplyDelete